Binging


I'm binging - on books - its been a while since I had a break in school that allowed me to take the time necessary to read. And read. And read. Forget the brown paper bags, tied up with string - reading is one of my favorite things.

I didn't really plan on binging, but the finishing of school, coupled with some external motivations (the revisiting of a prophetic word from Frankfurt, Rob Bell's lecture & my desire to continue developing my reference base) led to a purchase of several books from the Bell recommended reading list - so far, I've gone through:
  • Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus: New Insights from a Hebraic Perspective
  • Walking the Bible : A Journey by Land Through the Five Books of Moses
  • Excavating Jesus : Beneath the Stones, Behind the Texts: Revised and Updated

    Soon to be devoured are:
  • Jewish Spirituality : A Brief Introduction for Christians
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • Everyman's Talmud : The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • Keeping the Sabbath Wholly
  • The Sabbath Rest
  • Several others that I didn't want to write the titles down - I figgered that you got the picture...

    I have a dream that one day I will have a room in my house that is wall to floor books all the way around; or, that I can go live in a library for a while, & live & walk among the books, smelling the wonderfully musty, stale smell of old books.
    :)
  • 11 launchings into the blogosphere....:

    georgia said...

    Reading lots of books
    Hoarding them on bookshelves
    Buying some more books
    and learning so much well

    Bible, Judaism, and fantasy
    These are a few of your favorite things.

    When the school's out
    When the work's done
    When you're feeling good
    You simply pick up a big fat book or two
    And then you can read, read, read.

    Sorry......

    scoey-d said...

    another one of my favorites is watching the Sound of Music. Christopher Plummer singing Edelweiss is pretty cool; esp. with the pseudo-historical Austro/Hungarian vs. the Nazi's edge to the story

    Jeni said...

    MMMM... Books... Tasty!
    But seriously--I agree with you about living with the books in a library all my own. What a fantasy! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the escape from school.

    David said...

    Now that I'm finished with school, I'm reading some pretty deep texts myself.

    I just dove into "ESPN.com Fantasy Football 2006: LJ or Bust?"

    It's over my head sometimes, but I am enjoying it so far.

    DenDen said...

    ...I enjoyed Plummer more as a one-eyed, Hamlet-quoting Klingon...

    ...speaking of book rooms, I particularly liked Lex Luthor's library in the latest Superman...with the rolling ladder of course...

    georgia said...

    That was about the only thing to like about that movie.

    Jeni said...

    I second that Georgia!

    digapigmy said...

    come on, saving the plane and catching it in the middle of the baseball field was pretty stinking cool.

    georgia said...

    Yes, I especially liked the part where Lois Lane gets slammed all around the inside of the plane which is in a nosedive, and emerges without any broken bones! That was way cool. I wonder how she did that?

    Jeni said...

    Well, Georgia, it's because she's a DUMMY!!!

    georgia said...

    Her acting was a bit wooden. Or was it the script? Or both? You know it's bad when it makes Margot Kidder look good.