A wise man once told me...

...nobody owes me anything.

The cause of a lot of offense, frustration, disappointment, & unmet expectations is an underlying belief that I might not have even identified, let alone articulated... someone owes me an explanation. Some thoughtfulness. Time. Respect.

Nobody owes me anything.

It's easier to say, "I don't owe anyone anything," but I believe that might have to do with the selfishness of the statement, which speaks to the ability to live life with a reckless abandon in regards towards the feelings & perceptions of others.

Nobody owes me anything.

I don't have a claim on being treated appropriately by anyone else - & clinging to my claim, however well founded in my own mind, (& in public opinion) doesn't change that fact. The more I cling to my 'rights' the more I am hamstrung by my own woundedness, & I limit where God can work in & through me...

Nobody owes me anything.


Philippians 2:3-11
3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

5 You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.

6 Though he was God,
he did not think of equality with God
as something to cling to.

7 Instead, he gave up his divine privileges[b];
he took the humble position of a slave[c]
and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form,[d]

8 he humbled himself in obedience to God
and died a criminal’s death on a cross.

9 Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
and gave him the name above all other names,

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

5 launchings into the blogosphere....:

laura said...

I have a really hard time with expectations of people. I know that no one owes us anything, but at the same time when you have invested in relationships, certain expectations start to arise...

TimmyMac said...

Good stuff that I needed to hear . . . Thanks.

Erica said...

good insight...I like how you broke it down. How many underlying beliefs do we have...

Jeni said...

Thank you for sharing that. :)

digapigmy said...

you're going to owe me a whole lot of money when i win Haro Joe this year.