a few things...

Had coffee & good talks with Shontell's brother, Kristopher yesterday... we coffeed locally, at a place owned by a guy named Jim, not one of them coffee chains. We got to hang for a couple of hours, & the only interruptions we had were from Jim pouring beans into the roaster right behind us... throughout our entire coffee-ing. Made me think of the Age's job in Minden as KOTR (King of the Roaster's) for the Siren Coffee Chain...


Over the last couple of days, we've seen some interesting things...

Driving from Blacksburg home to Christiansburg, we saw a motorcycle pulling something. I was intrigued, so I pulled up to find that it was a hollowed out log, like a log from a theme-park log ride, with a dog in the back of the log. A dog wearing aviators glasses. A dog named "Ruby."

Now, it's not that I'm a dog lover, or that I thought that the scenario of the guy pulling his dog was especially cute, or that my mother-in-law's name is Ruby...


On the same drive, we saw Bo & Luke Duke, as well as the General Lee, sitting outside of Cooter's Garage. 'nuff said.

Went to the Salem Avalanche game last night - the "Salem Men's Choral Group" - old guys in their 80s & 90s, in tuxes - sang the National Anthem, which was cool. The best part was that they walked (& walk-ered) onto the field to GNR's "Welcome to the Jungle..." Truly.

I'm thankful for our daily discussions with Chuck - every day, I've/we've spent at least 90 minutes in conversation - & have received a lot of input. Things that stand out to me so far as I process internally & in this virtual arena...
  • Making sure that I know, recognize, & live within my limits (& rhythms) in the areas of time, relationships, energy output & investment (among others) is a key for me...
  • Being able to lead oneself is imperative for personal & relational growth... Knowing what to say "Yes" & "No" to. Not living by my whims, taking on a victim's mentality, blaming others for my issues, choices, etc. "Leading oneself" might also be called self-control, self-discipline, self-governing, self-boundaries... & it's not a rigid, militaristic way of life, but is a "fruit of the Spirit" way of life.
  • Feeding my soul is necessary for life in its fullness.
  • Feeding the soul of my relationship with theBean is necessary for that relationship to thrive.
  • The kind of relationships I want require that 2 people are both feeding into them; are taking responsibility for their own selves; not looking for the other to fulfill or complete me... Not being taken advantage of. Not being used as a 'means to an end.'
  • If I don't stop & grieve, I can't grow. This means grieving where I've experienced loss: death, of friendships, unfulfilled dreams, hurts, disappointments, friends moving, etc. My observation is that we (Americans) & we (the American Church) don't grieve much. Or well.
  • Jesus is more concerned with me, the person, & in the process I'm in, & how I "play with others around me", than in anything I could ever do, any role I ever fulfill, any output or accomplishment that comes from my life.
  • There are things that I would still be doing/living even if I didn't have the job I have; remembering that, & trying to stay congruent by 'doing/living' those things now, is something I'm pondering.


    I have a couple of travel uniforms - meaning, I wear the same pants & shirt... funny, but comforting. My 'new' jeans. White T. Sweet black support socks (to keep the blood flowing instead of pooling in my feet.) Blue polo. Comfy black slip ons. My 1 belt. Yeah. It's all laid out, right now, ready to go. Only 24 hours & I'll be on a jet plane with my girlfriend, coming back to my family. And the life that I love. And am thankful for. Sigh.

    Thank you.
  • 5 launchings into the blogosphere....:

    SeƱor H said...

    we miss you.

    David said...

    Ruby. Nice.

    Did the dog blow out a candle and get hot wax all over her face and then claim she almost died?

    Destro Jones said...

    I'm not sure that's even a Dodge Charge but it's pretty cool in that red neck sort of way.

    scoeyd said...

    mr. H- gracias por todo. Igualmente...

    OP- No. I don't think it did. The safety/aviators goggles would have been a big help though.

    Destro- congratulations on your boy!

    And, it wasn't the right car, but everything about the car was detailed by Cooter (Really, a guy named Wayne) but Cooter had nothing on him. TheBean 1/2 wanted to get a picture of Wayne with the car, & 1/2 wanted to get away as quickly as we could. To a Waylon Jennings soundtrack of course...

    No(dot dot)el said...

    glad to hear the trip was a good one , praying for a safe trip home.