Day 1 continues....

Left Chicago on time, 6:48 CST. Turns out I was in a totally & out flight, & the lady with the turban & the baby wanted to know if I could change seats with her - my aisle seat, more space & leg room, no built in TV, left side of the plane, for her aisle seat, built in TV, right side of the plane. I was the 5th person asked - and I switched, for purely practical reasons. TV in my seat. Not much difference in leg room. Comped goodies from the flight attendant for making their life (& the mom/baby's) easier. And I didn't even know about the comped snacks when I agreed to move.

Slept for about 4 hours - & woke up an hour out of Frankfurt. Just in time to beat the rush to the john. Good times.

All my bags showed up (yay!) & I cleared customs in record time. Went to Segafreddo for a doppio & waited for the 12:38 train where I would meet my host & travel to Gau Algesheim. Time passes slowly when one is trying not to go to sleep, when every ounce of ones body, soul, mind, & strength wants nothing more than to sleep. Anywhere. But I made it.

Linda G. met me on the train & we traveled for about 50 minutes to the G.A. stop - where Alex & the big puppy Jonathan picked us up in the car & drove to their house. And it is awesome!

Went for a short walk (1 hour) while Linda cooked a phenomenal chicken curry that had enough spice to clear my sinuses & then some. Very nice. Laid down for 30 minutes, talked to theBean on the phone, & now am trying to orient myself to my surroundings & to buttress my resolve to stay awake until at least 9 tonight. Only 3 1/2 more hours.

Firmed up my Frankfurt plans - I'll be with Levent & Ines. Another yay, another unknown falls by the wayside.

Until later.

4 launchings into the blogosphere....:

Erica said...

cheers for you giving up your seat for the mom and baby :)

Murdoc said...

When you stay with levant & ines you will get to see the stain I left on the carpet. No, not that stain, the one from the wheels on my suitcase.

jami said...

how i do miss german land (not flight).

scoeyd said...

erica - all I could think of was the baby crying because it didn't have enough room to stretch out, while I was sitting comfy in my chair. And then I thought, "comfy baby = no crying = comfy me." So, there you have it. My motivation wasn't 100% altrusitic.

murdoc - great. I've heard so much about it. I'll make sure to wipe my wheels.

jami - yep. though the flight was about an 8 on a scale of 1-10, with 8 meaning it was enjoyable, great temperature, relatively easy to sleep, nice flight attendant that hooked me up with contraband...